First, I apologize for not having a photo....after eating a bit of this cake, I quickly distributed it to avoid eating it all at one sitting!!! When my very dessert-savvy and lovely daughter tasted this cake at a work function she immediately wrote me with a rapturous review of its attributes but also issued me a warning as to the danger of having this cake within reach....it would have to be consumed!! Oh, she was so very right. She sent me the recipe after a lot of coaxing, knowing how I adore desserts.
BANANA CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
¾ cup butter
2 1/8” cup sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
1 ½ tsps baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 ½ cups buttermilk
2 tsps. lemon juice
1 ½ cups mashed ripe bananas
½ cup butter, softened
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
3 ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
1 ts. vanilla
chopped walnuts (optional)
Follow exactly….it may sound strange with a 275 degree oven and THEN putting the cake in the freezer, but it works really well!!
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees
2. Grease and flour a 9 x 13” pan (a sheet pan works well, too – shorten cooking time)
3. In a small bowl, mix mashed bananas with the lemon juice; set aside
4. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside
5. In a large bowl, cream ¾ butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
6. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla
7. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk
8. Stir in the banana mixture
9. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (may take as long as 1 ½ hrs)
10. Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes
11. This will make the cake very moist
Cream the cream cheese and butter until very smooth, add confectioners’ sugar and beat on low speed until combined, add the vanilla, then beat on high speed until frosting is smooth.
Spread on cooled cake and sprinkle with chopped walnuts if desired.