Thursday, October 9, 2008

Reactions


There has been much written here through the last several years about finding solace and renewal in nature, and as we pass through these "difficult" and uncertain financial times, I find myself reaching out more than ever to observe nature at work and I am trying to follow the lead of my feathered friends and to count on the turn of the tide. Reacting in panic will not work for me or for anyone. After all, there is nothing I can do to change what is happening around me, I can only control my own immediate world, make some minor changes to pare down spending, and be positive in my thinking. I took these pictures last Sunday and the Great Blue Heron on his tall perch (used to measure the high water marks at Jack Knife Cove - part of Pleasant Bay- on the Harwich/Chatham town line) was going on with life, being resourceful and patiently fishing for his dinner, hanging out in a beautiful place. I really believe the country's financial system is reacting to some very bad decisions and it needed to right itself....yes, it will be a painful readjustment but it is necessary. Hopefully, this will encourage people to vote for change.

The other photo was taken from Whalers Wharf in the center of Provincetown looking out across the harbor to Wood End Light. It was a dark and rainy afternoon and there were the cormorants keeping a close eye on the water for a chance to dive for their dinner. I'm thinking that I need to follow their example, focus on what is necessary for survival amidst the beauty we share.

An excerpt from Dylan Thomas' "Poem in October" which I think is appropriate.

And I rose
In a rainy Autumn
And walked abroad in showers of all my days
High tide and the heron dived when I took the road over the border


.......and talking about reactions, last night I took the first dose of Mobic which my doctor prescribed for my knee pain. This morning I woke at 5 and realized that I was scratching and I was COVERED in huge red welts!! Drug reaction, but a surprise as I took this same drug years ago and it never bothered me at all. The welts have persisted all day and I am still a mess. I've spoken with the doctor and she will give me something else to try. The kicker is that overnight, all the pain and weakness was gone. I felt like I could have run a marathon today, well, maybe walked a few miles!
Tomorrow I will finally be with my beautiful daughter!

1 comment:

Beverly said...

I so not know if blogger sent you my thoughts. I hope you have a great time with your daughter.