Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Knee News

Today I finally got myself to my physician to discuss the awful pain and weakness in my left knee which have been worsening rapidly of late. I am now unable to walk very far and have to be extremely careful upon arising to avoid falling.
In 2006 I had a total knee replacement on my right knee and it has been wonderful. I was convinced that my left knee would need a total replacement as well. It is a tough surgery and recovery but I would do it in a flash if I could but financially I cannot now afford to take 7-8 weeks off from work without pay. I only have 1 week of sick time available to me. Thus, when I found out today that there is a slim chance I could get away with simpler surgery it was a relief. It seems I have a nasty big spur in the left knee and it is attacking my quadricep muscles. THAT is why I have such awful pain and weakness. I will be having an MRI and a visit with the surgeon soon to find out if the simpler procedure is an option. Here's hoping!! For the time being, it is recommended that I not exercise and be very aware of resting my knee. Not good news for me.

The cool weather has really arrived here and tonight I had to face the fact that I needed to buy some new turtlenecks. With one shabby black one left from 3 years ago it was time so I headed out to Macy's and got several colors at a reasonable price. Eerily, I swear I was the only person in the store. The financial crisis? Dancing with the Stars? The debate? I don't know, but it was a strange feeling. I took LM's daughter, Kristi along and she loved it....she was able to buy herself a new DVD with her birthday money.

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Good news...I hope so anyway. You need to cut back on your beach walks for awhile. Just shut your eyes and rewalk them in your mind. That is how I take a vacation to the beach...