Sunday, July 20, 2008

Blueberry-Lemon Pancakes - a Variation on the Blues Theme

I truly love a leisurely Sunday morning with LM....sleeping 3-4 hours later than usual, time to just cuddle, giggle and revel in each other and read the paper and play with Ms. G. - truly luxury. At these special times, I like to make a brunch-type breakfast and switch gears from my usual breakfast of cottage cheese and fruit or oatmeal. This morning's choice was made up entirely in my head and with what was available in the refrigerator, and it was really too delicious not to share here!
Because Ms. G LOVES bacon beyond reason, I started out by cooking some for all three of us. (She only gets about 3-4 minute bites, and before eating them, they are thoroughly scrutinized and sniffed!) While the bacon sizzled, I mixed up pancakes, inventing as I went along.

Blueberry Lemon Pancakes

3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I buy this from a local mill and keep it in the freezer)
2 tbls baking powder
7 or 8 grates of fresh nutmeg
grated rind of 1 small lemon

Mix all of the above together with a whisk

Combine the following:

1 cup 1% milk
1 large egg
1 tbls. vegetable oil

Stir the milk/egg/oil mixture into the dry ingredients.

Heat a skillet coated with veg oil or cooking spray and use about 1/4 cup batter per pancake. After dropping the batter onto the skillet, arrange fresh blueberries on top of the batter. Turn when bubbles begin to form at edges. I like this method of adding the blueberries rather than folding into the batter.

Serve with pure maple syrup.
______________________________________________________________

The rest of the weekend has been pretty nice, too. It was very very hot and humid here but having the AC in the house has been great even if it pained me to turn it on initially. Such a relief not to have that wet feeling clinging to everything I touch.
I left home quite early on Saturday and was able to beat the heavy traffic which accumulates every weekend at the bridges. Dad and I had a nice visit and I was able to do a few errands and replenish his pills for him. He seems not to be affected by the heat.
On the way back home, I stopped at my favorite Salvation Army store and found a few nice items of clothing. It is such fun to hunt through and find good quality used clothing for nominal prices.
Finally home around 6 pm, and LM came over shortly after that and we enjoyed a lovely evening walk through the village which is now wall-to-wall people but it is such a fun and happy atmosphere. There was a lovely breeze and we walked through the old village admiring all the gardens and the water....just so happy and loving being together.
It was all pretty low key but happy, happy and not a hint of the depression which had been lurking around my brain in recent weeks. LM and I even had several groundbreaking conversations about things in our relationship which have changed since his heart attack and I felt such gratitude and relief that we could have the openness and loving discourse. It all came to be without any effort on my behalf which is another one of the things which I love and treasure about the man LM personifies....I'm a very lucky woman.

This afternoon I attended a lawn party at the home of a client with whom I have become quite friendly. Being so NOT enamored of social events, and lucky enough to have LM who feels the same way, I allowed him to not attend and went on my own (we shared a laugh about this....he would have gone if I really asked). As often happens, I get all tied in knots about these events and then have a really nice time, meet nice new people, etc. I even stayed until the end!!

Another week ahead......it will be a nice one and the weekend will bring a dinner party, prepared by me at my son's house to celebrate his brithday. I will make one of his favorite meals and his all time favorite chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting.

That's it and I think the blues are chased away!






No comments: