Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Magic Potion

Thank you all so much for sharing my relief and for those who asked for the smoothie recipe, here it is. Bear in mind it can be anything you want but should have the kale and spinach and oat bran.

In blender container in the following order:
2 heaping tablespoons Stonyfield Farm plain yogurt (you cannot taste the yogurt at all in this)
1 pkg Truvia sweetner
1 tbls Bob's Red Mill Oat Bran
I lg handful sliced almonds
1" piece of peeled fresh ginger (aids digestion)
I/2 apple, cut in chunks
1/2 cup berries....blueberries, strawberries, raspberries
1 huge handful of spinach
1-2 handsful of chopped kale
1-2 ice cubes
1 Heaping tbls of protein powder (I am using Solgar brand right now)
Blend well well with cover on tightly, need I say more? 
Sounds like a lot of work but I have everything organized in the refrigerator and it goes quickly. I drink it all as I am getting ready for work.  It gets me through the morning!!  This is very flexible and the fruits can be omitted or changed up to your liking. If I have bananas around I will add one half.
Also, remember the disaster I had last year when I dropped a whole smoothie on the carpet in my sitting room.....eeeek, what a mess, and it cost 200. to have professional cleaners pay a visit. Oh my!
At night I am eating grilled salmon 2-3 nights a week. I purchase it cooked at my local market and it comes with spinach. I lightly saute in frying pan with more spinach and sliced kalamata olives and a bit of olive oil. Just to warm through.Sometimes I saute a few thinly sliced potatoes to add to this dinner.

On Sundays I cook protein of some sort to eat from during the week, as necessary.  I have some baked chicken this week. Every other week, I have some red meat....usually extra lean ground beef.

Other nights I am having just a mix of veggies and some fruit. 
On work days I bring left over veggies or some low-fat cottage cheese and fruit for lunch. I'm usually adding sweet potato to whatever green veggie I have.  They are really filling.

So this is the plan I worked up for myself for the last 6 weeks.....really just a combination of ideas and suggestions for foods that help to lower BP, and reduce inflammation.

Drinking a lot of water!! 

Best of all, I do allow myself a treat every few days.  I might have a cookie with ginger lemon tea or 1/2 small cupcake.  If I am invited out, I just eat smaller amounts of whatever I want. 

1 comment:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

In many ways
we are similar.
Computer came on for a minute
and am still waiting for
tune up.
Just checking in.