Saturday, August 15, 2009

Having a brief repsite from pain midweek, was such a relief, as I awaited the results of the MRI. Not sure if it is a psychological response or not, but as soon as I found out that I have serious lumbar disc degeneration with impingement on my sciatic nerve, I was right back in the pain all day Friday. That really brought my spirits crashing down, complete with tears of grief for Dad and what the future will bring if I cannot walk. Yup, I went right to the worst possible outcome and then some. I am so good at that.
My daughter-in-law had invited LM and me to join her to see Julie and Julia last night, so as I drove toward LM's house to meet him, I had to give myself a stern talking to in order to stop the tears, etc. "You are in control of your mood, happiness, blah, blah, blah." It worked, and we all had a lot of fun. We LOVED the movie. Meryl Streep was just perfect as Julia Child. A highlight of the movie for me were the period sets, and also the wardrobe for Amy Adams who played Julie Powell. Her clothes were obviously vintage and in each scene she wore interesting old pins. When Julia's book came out all those years ago, my mother, already an accomplished and incredible cook, began cooking many of the French recipes, and I can still remember us all sitting around watching Julia on PBS. The laughter echoed in my ears as I watched the movie. Also, Mum acquired a lot of the same cookware which Julia is shown using in this movie. Really wonderful!! The blogging aspect of the movie was great, too. A truly enjoyable evening, shared with two people I dearly love.

Today finds me in better spirits, althought the pain lurks. The next step in the process is to be seen at the Spinal Pain Institute on August 25th. Long wait with constant lectures to myself to take this one minute at a time.

Meanwhile.....it is a gloriously beautiful summer day and I am going over to LM's.
In Ms G news.....when I arrived at LM's last night, badly in need of some kitty love, she took one look at me and bolted upstairs to her lair. No sign of her when we returned. As I was driving home, per usual, LM called to tell me her royal highness was happily ensconsed on his lap, curled up and purring. Maybe today......happy weekend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your disc degeneration. I think that is sometimes common with age. My mom has the same thing. There is a new surgery available that is quite wonderful I've heard. Don't know enough about it to say anything. A friend of my friends mom had it at Duke U. Hospital and is doing quite well. This was probably late last fall, maybe November.

I would like you to tell me...or us, just how you came to have Ms. G. I have wondered about that for some reason...will you tell us?

Glad you liked the movie, I thought it was wonderful too!!!...debbie

Beverly said...

I believe they can help you...don't despair just yet....
I think it is funny ms g will not let you pet her...she must really like his house, cause you know she loves you....
Rest up and do not work in the yard :-)

barbara said...

I'm sorry to hear about the degenerative disc problem. Hopefully, the Spinal Pain Institute will be able to help you with it. Since you had some spontaneous respite from the pain mid-week, that might be a sign that it will respond well to conservative treatment. Take it one step at a time. I want to see Julie and Julia, but haven't had the chance yet. I remember Julia Child on PBS so well. I enjoyed the book Julie and Julia too. I hope Ms Graysea will consent to come home soon.

MsGraysea said...

Thanks everyone....there is progress and I am better today. Moderation is the key.
Debbie, I will get on writing the story of how Ms G came in to my life...it is interesting, so is she!