Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Canada - Part 2 - Crossng over, Napanee and arriving in Waterloo

Once the weather cleared, the sun and the gentlest breezes, carried us along to our first night's stop.  We departed the New York Thruway at Rome, wanting to drive up to the St Lawrence Seaway by way of Pulaski and Oswego, along the eastern-most shores of Lake Ontario.  Those areas really close up after Labor Day, although they come alive again when salmon fishing season is in full swing. Fishing camps lined both sides of our very rural route.  I know my fisherman was near-salivating at the thought of being there "in-season."  As we crossed the Oswego and Salmon Rivers, there were a few anglers hanging on with hope.  After my non-sleep night, I was nodding off, thus, no photos, suffice it to say New York is a beautiful and varied state, and we were blissful to be on the road headed for our favorite way to cross the border in to Canada...….the tiny little ferry that departs from Cape Vincent.

Waiting in line at the dock to drive our trusty KIA on board and cross the St Lawrence Seaway to Wolfe Island, Ontario.

Cape Vincent is a sweet little town with old brick homes and shady streets.....pretty flowers greeted us as we pulled first in line to get on the ferry, but first, a quick visit to the visitors center, the building in back with the flags.

One lovely rose beside the car as we waited for the ferry to come in sight. 

We have such fun going to Canada this way, and riding the little ferries.  The day had become gloriously warm, with no wind, so unlike similar rough crossings, we were in for a smooth and beautiful trip.

The ferry holds about 4 cars, but this day there were only 2.

Leaving the dock....happy, happy!
We reached the Wolfe Island tiny customs dock in about 15 minutes, and breezed through after showing out passports.  In another 15 minutes we were in the tiny village of Wolfe Island, stopped in the great bakery for LM to acquire a coffee and a snack, then got in line to board the huge car ferry for Kingston, Ontario.  There are no photos because we pulled the car on board, were parked in a sunny spot near the front, and almost immediately fell asleep.  We woke up when the ship docked.  The night before and early morning rainy drive began to catch up with us. 

 Our lodgings, The Fox Motor Inn - Napanee Ontario.  Such a pretty very old town, filled with lovely old homes, parks and a seeming to be thriving economy.  
It was about 3:30 pm when we found ourselves in this very comfy and clean room, and the temptation to collapse into sleep was only overridden by the fact that we were beyond hungry, having not stopped for lunch. 
The motel office highly recommended we head to The Waterfront for lunch.  The day could not have been more perfect to dine outside, under a beautiful canopy of trees, along the banks of the Napanee River.  We were warmly greeted and  felt like we were in a charming French Cafe.  Lunch was beautifully served, and we ate with relish.  Boats pulled up to the dock beside us and others came in to dine, although it was really quiet and peaceful, the lunch crowd having departed.

Tired face, but oh, so happy. We kept laughing about the events of the night before, no sleep, etc. 
The Waterfront outdoor space.....
This folk art piece shows a nice view of the restaurant....a huge old stone mill building. 

After lunch (dinner) we took a little drive around town and visited several of the interesting parks that line the river, then suddenly decided we MUST get back to the motel.  Our room was in a quiet two-story outbuilding, and, carrying our little overnight bags we made our way to the door to the stairs, got just inside, stairs looming down at us, and started laughing so hard, as there seemed no way we could walk up....I was 'round the bend exhausted and, that became contagious to LM....we ended up in each other's arms laughing so hard and the next thing we knew, we were sitting on the bottom step trying to get a handle on the fact that we had to get up and conquer the steps.....up we went, LM dragging me by my shirt, all the while, in torrents of hysterical laughing. It took two of us to figure out the door key card, and within seconds, we were in the room, clothes dropped on the floor, and asleep at 5 pm.....14 hours later we decided it was time to get up and hit the road, and we did just that after a little breakfast served at the motel coffee room.  We love being on road trips together.......to be continued!!

No comments: