Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Two-Crow Lunch

Crows hold a lot of fascination for me and almost everyday I am joined by a few at lunch.  No matter the weather, I have to open the window to hear them talking to each other, and often they are close enough that I hear their flight. The beach was empty on this day as rain was imminent, and these two were having such a good time, finding bits and bites in the sand, not long-vacated by beachgoers.
I love these dark days in my special places and the drama in the sky is always a show. I'll find my breath, enjoy the little bite in the air, and the scent that wafts  just before the rain. The passenger seat in my car holds several things I can do during lunch - a quilt with a half-sewn binding, my Kindle filled with good things to read or games to be played, the latest Vanity Fair is always there, too, but day after day,  they lay untouched as I just breathe and behold nature's show. Sometime there are conversations by other attendees to be overheard. Just yesterday, I got some great fishing tips to pass on to my dearest LM. I do think he might be out buying some squid for bait right now. On the other side yesterday, was a French couple speaking their wonderful language, and loving the view. We have so many foreign visitors here in the early Fall, when the Cape seems to be at its best. 
Back to the two-crow lunch production, suddenly a third appeared, and an armada of 4 ducks approached. There was quite a loud discussion among the players.  To my surprise, with a lot of quacking and positioning, the crows were soon flying off and the beach was taken over by the four quacking strutters. I had to leave before the final act but there will be many repeats. 

Everyone in my world is doing very well right now.....I spent part of last Saturday with Teddy and we took a nice walk to the local playground while he told me many interesting stories about some well-defined imaginary friends.  We picked a great bouquet of wild flowers for his mum and dad and just had such fun catching up.  I love that he asks me lots of questions and is so observant of his surroundings. 

Sara and Samantha are settling in to their nice new apartment, fairly nearby, and Samantha is already in 1st grade and loving each day. 

This weekend we will have a visit from my brother, Ev, and 4-footed friend, Tiger. They will be very much looking forward to long walks at Lighthouse Beach. We have some fun meals and trip to the farmer's market planned, too. 

LM is busy working almost everyday and his trips for car dealers are taking him far and wide. He just loves being on the road and I'd love to be along for the ride but work keeps me home.

We have both, but mostly LM, been adjusting the the rather final change of Kristi moving to RI to live with her long-lost half-brother. She sounds like she is happy and they are doing a lot of things to make her life full.  I know LM feels the loss of her closeness after 44 years of daily contact and caring.  The house is very quiet and we have settled back in to our routine of togetherness there every weekend, cooking together, reading, going to the beach to walk,  and watching movies. 

We won't be traveling any more until next Spring when we go to Eleuthera, so we are planning a few day events to attend in the meanwhile. 

Ms G has been defending her fortress. Several night's sleep have been interrupted lately by her howls and banging as she throws herself against the back door when the neighboring tabby appears.  Otherwise she does a very efficient job of holding LM down on the couch or chair for a good part of each evening. In other Ms G news, she's been very helpful in assisting with quilting. While I have the quilt in my lap to handsew, she goes to great trouble to dig and manoeuvre until she has a nest/hive for herself. Of course this results in a delay in completion of said project. All for a good cause....nothing more important than a kitty nap.

Wishing you all peace, beautiful Fall days and love.

No comments: