Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Country Mouse

Yesterday, the article linked below came to my attention and I wanted to share it here, as well. Back in the late 1970's to early 80's, I lived in the house that the article details.  Sadly today it is in ruins and falling in to the ground.  At the bottom of the article there is a photo showing how lovely it was when I lived there with son, Jason and two cats, Purrsi and Mocha. We lived on the entire second floor in 4 huge and very bright rooms with the most beautiful hardwood floors and several lovely fireplaces, including a tiny one in the kitchen.

My time at "The Mouse House," as we called it, was very creative and interesting. I was newly in love with my third husband-to-be at the time - a very deep love affair that lasted 18 yrs, but  became a troubled, and eventually, ill-fated pairing.  Out of the pain came a lot of creative writing, and to this day, whenever I drink chamomile tea, I am reminded of those days and long nights, waiting for my love to visit.

The owners of The Country Mouse, a rather eccentric and loving British couple, became our very good friends and were kind to us in  many ways.  They ran an antique shop, a furniture refinishing business, and the wife, Gini, made little stuffed mice dressed in all sorts of outfits who  seemed to draw a rather large clientele.  She was also an artist and sold her paintings in the shop.  The history of the house is detailed below, but suffice it to say, it is quite appropriate that I lived for a time in a former insane asylum!!

Also, I own a beautiful 1st edition of the book, "Aunt Sally's Friends in Fur" and consider it a treasure.  Enjoy!

http://sandwichhistory.org/dbayley/?p=41

2 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

So sad to see these beautiful
old homes decay and ruin.
Memories
we both
have a lot of them...

mrspao said...

How sad to see this lovely house in such a sad state. It is such a place filled with memories and I enjoyed hearing about how enjoyable it was for you to live there.