Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Got it!

When LM came down with a nasty sore throat and cough virus almost two weeks ago, I decided that no way was I going to get sick, as well. After all, I did my time last winter for 5 months, and I have been so healthy since then. Not to be, the thing grabbed my throat last Thursday and has really knocked me for a loop. At first it was just the scratchy throat, and an all over sick feeling, then the cough began in earnest. As sick as I felt, I took my coughing self out in nature for a walk in a new-to-me conservation area along a herring run in Bournedale - barely a mile from home.Thought you might like to come along for a glimpse of some more Cape Cod beauty.  I cannot wait to go back and walk this area again with LM.

This is southwesterly view of the herring run at Carter Beal Conservation Area
Northeasterly view below
 
 Walking toward the little bridge to lead to the trail
View from the bridge

The floor of the forest was even showing Fall...tiny wild asters, and below an ancient house foundation

Sneaking through some brush along the trail, this beautiful sight was revealed.


More forest floor beauty, and a dormant ladyslipper



The air was redolent with the scent of wild Concord grapes and finally they revealed themselves over my head.  Took me back to all the times I picked wild grapes and made jelly with my Mum.


This beautiful rock and reflection were visible from the bridge...the rock reminds me of a giant clam!

Back to the entrance.....
and some more shots of the ancient herring run as it flows toward the Cape Cod Canal.



Old stone pillars at the entrance covered with English ivy and Autumn jasmine.
Hope you enjoyed this little tour.





6 comments:

Judy said...

I'm sorry you got the virus, but so glad you got to walk and take me along. Do they still use the sluice as a fish run? Love all these pix. My grandma also used to make wild grape jelly. Took forever, as I remember.

Balisha said...

I loved seeing your pictures today. Hope you feel better fast and not like last year.
I feel like I shouldn't mention this, but I think I will anyway. I'm having problems with my vision. I have such a hard time reading your blog with the color of your font. I don't expect you to change it just for me. I just thought that maybe there were others having the same problem.
I so enjoy reading your news.
Balisha

Unknown said...

I love the photos. My mother was a Beal and was born in the old house that used to stand between the herring run and the mill race to the east. My Beal and Gibbs ancestors lived there since the early 18th century.

MsGraysea said...

Hello Carter,
Thank you so much for your lovely comment. I am fascinated to know you have such nice history in the Bournedale area. Now that I live in Sagamore Beach area, I spent a lot of time over at the Carter Beal area. My 6 yr old grandson caught a giant picekerel over there a few weeks ago and it was a momentous time for him,a s the fish was a beauty. We released it quickly to his beautiful home in the little pond. Do you know the name of the pond?
I have also been working on learning more about the area we live in S. Beach. It seems from what I have heard recently that it was a big golf course way back when (area of the Hoxie School and behind, running toward Scusset Beach.

Hope to hear from you again. Are you living in this area?

Sincerely,
Marcia

Unknown said...

Hi Marcia, I don't know if the pond ever had a name. The entire property was called "'Tween Brooks" by my ancestors. My mother had a favorite rock in the pond that she referred to as Mrs. Puddleduck. The pond is of ancient construction, having been built in 1695. I visited the property after my Uncle Carter Beal's death in 1972. The house was still standing then. It was a largely unrestored 18th century home and was considered one of the prettiest homes in the area.

I live in Southern California. I'd like to visit Massachusetts again. I love the Cape.

Carter Rezin

MsGraysea said...

Hi Carter,
I love knowing the historical information you have imparted here. This area is so special to my 6 year old grandson.....we started a running imaginary story about there being a troll living in the woods beyond the bridge and we always tip-toe along quietly when we walk in the area. Did your relatives turn the property over to the town of Bourne after the death of your Uncle? Just past the bridge, if you walk straight instead of taking the path, there is an old foundation with a steep hill beyond. I wonder if it is part of the 18th century house. I have come in contact with a Wampanoag woman who was born in the area and her history goes back forever. I am hoping to sit and talk with her at some time soon. She knows so much about the old Bournedale. I moved to Sandwich in 1977, and soon met 2 Wampanoag brothers who grew up in that area. They were retired and caretakers and gardeners for a very wealthy family in Sagamore Beach. They are both gone now but told me incredibly interesting stories of their childhoods. One operated the hand-powered ferry that crossed the canal at the Herring Run, and the other was an engineer in the building of the canal. He loved to talk about his Indian Princess mother, and his father who took him seal hunting off White Cliffs.

I hope you can get back to the Cape someday. It is such a special place and I am deeply grateful everyday I am here. I grew up in Hanover on the South Shore MA, and came to the Cape so often with my grandparents. I moved here at my very first opportunity. I left Sandwich for Chatham, stayed there 10 years, and then moved to Sagamore Beach in mid-2014 to live with my son and his wife. It is the perfect retirement "job" for me, and a true privilege to be with little Teddy 24/7.

Sincerely,
Marcia

Thanks you so much for sharing your memories, and I would welcome any more you wish to share. I used to write on my blog much more often but these days, being a full-time Nana keeps me very busy.